Being a college student you might have a bike but to keep it always with you, it’s important to protect it from theft by using bike lock. I know that we have many bike-friendly campuses in the US, but in most cases, it’s a good idea to lock your bike anyways.
Though you can find various types of locks for the bikes your preference should be to buy the best bike lock for college students.
By using these locks you can move anywhere around on campus while keeping your bike parked in front of a restaurant or under a tree safely. On the contrary, your bike can be stolen away any time from any location. A bike lock can keep your bicycle safe from the bike thieves and also could give you a piece of mind.
There is this statistic which says that a four-year college student has a 53% chance of having his or her bike stolen. The statistic is old but I guess today it’s even worse.
When to use bike locks?
You may be astonished to read this question as it should be used always to protect your bike but still, there are certain things to be kept in mind in this regard. Usually, college students grew up in a small town do not use bike locks as they are not used to it. Infrequent riders remain attentive to their bike instead of securing it with a lock because they have never done so.
But all bike owners should try to prevent theft of their bikes as it can happen to anyone anytime. It can be a great loss for the bike owner regardless of his/her status. In such condition, it becomes important to choose the best bike lock for college students and other people owning a bike for their personal use.
In the presence of various types of bike locks in the market, it becomes difficult to choose the best one unless you are pre-informed. Some of the best bike locks for college students are briefly reviewed here under to help you in this regard.
So let’s start with our 3 favorite bike locks which you can find online:
Kryptonite 997986 18mm New York Fahgettaboudit U-Lock, Black Mini
It’s one of the best bike locks for college goers as it’s an ultimate lock for the scooters and bikes in the theft-prone areas where the risk of bike theft is very high. It’s made of 18mm hardened steel shackle from Max-Performance to resist powerful attacks and bolt cutters. It provided double security to your bike with the help of oversized sleeve over crossbar made of hardened steel.
It has extensive power to hold your bike with its double deadbolt locking system. A keyway at the center of this bike lock defends your bike from powerful attempts of the attackers. Other important features of this bike lock may include one lighted key with an HD LED bulb, rechargeable battery and 3 keys made of stainless steel.
- It can resist powerful attacks and bolt cutters as it’s made of 18mm hardened MAX-Performance steel shackle;
- Its patented and oversized sleeve over crossbar made of hardened steel offers double security to your bike;
- Offers extensive holding power due to its double deadbolt locking system;
- Provides high security to your bike with the help of its disc-type cylinder;
- It defends your bike against leverage attacks through its keyway at the center;
- It has a protective coating of vinyl to keep it safe in all weather condition;
- Its battery can be protected and its life can be extended with the help of its sliding dustcover;
- The size if this U-lock is not enough to lock the wheel of your bike with its frame with the city pole;
- It’s very heavy;
Kryptonite Kryptolok Series 2 Standard Bicycle U-Lock
It’s another great U-type bike lock from the brand name Kryptonite which can be used to keep your bike or scooter safe as it includes a cable that can be used to lock the frame of your bike along with its wheel with the pole of city light. It can resist the attackers and cutters as it is made of 13mm thick hardened Performance steel.
The bent foot design offers great value and ultimate protection to your bike. It can be mounted easily with all types of tube frames of the bike, oval, round, square or rectangular, ranging between 25mm and 80mm with the FlexFrame Transit Bracket provided with it. It can be aligned to the geometry of the frame of the bike as it can rotate at 360 degrees for its better fitting.
- It’s a U-style lock for bikes;
- It’s made of 13mm thick hardened Performance steel shackle to resist powerful attacks and cutters;
- Its high-security design offers great value and protects your bike seriously;
- Its drill and pick resistant disc like cylinder provided high-level security;
- For its easier use 2 “I” type keys are provided with this bike lock;
- The cable is not as strong as required to keep your bike safe. The thieves can cut it to steal your bike relatively easily;
- This lock requires lots of efforts to shake it for lock and unlock;
OnGuard Pitbull Medium U-Lock (Black, 3.55 x 6.90-Inch)
This bike lock can be used to lock your bike with the standard posts of parking meters as its PitBull Mini crossbar has a medium length shackle. Its X4P locking mechanism makes it a great protector for bikes of the messengers. The dimensions of its shackle include 90mm W x 175mm H x 14 mm D. In general, it’s one of the best bike locks for college students out there.
- It is a U-Lock that can hold your bike safe for a long time.
- Definitely the best bike lock for the messengers on the bike.
- It has the mounting bracket with Snap Lock Quick Release system to mount it in multi-positions. It has 4 keys with extra grip and one with micro-light for its better use.
- There is a kind of handle on the curved part of the U of this lock which only adds weight to this lock instead of some specific use. Some thin wires wrapped around it can scratch your bike anytime;
- The dimensions of this lock written on its package are not described correctly. It seems they are taken from the inside of the lock;
- It’s very difficult to turn its keys;
I hope that after reading this blog post you could find which is the best bike lock for college. And remember, always lock your bike when you are going to leave it anywhere no matter if it’s a cheap hybrid bike or a high-quality expensive road bike.
I want to help 10 000 000 people around the world learn how to ride a bicycle and find the joy of cycling to work. Thank you for being a part of the Yes Cycling community.